TOWNSHIP OF MACHAR
MINUTES – REGULAR MEETING
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2015
Call to Order, Disclosures of Pecuniary Interest and the General Nature Thereof; nil.
Council present: Mayor Lynda Carleton, Deputy Mayor Ron McLaren, Councillors Blair Flowers, Harvey Pinkerton and Bart Wood. Staff present: Clerk Administrator Brenda Paul, AMCT.
1. Jan 26, 2015 minutes, resolution
27-15 Flowers, Wood
THAT we adopt Jan 26, 2015 Regular minutes. CARRIED
a. Financial Indicator Review
Corrected copy distributed. Net Book Value of Capital Assets as a % of Cost of Capital Assets – high level of challenge. Renewal of infrastructure discussed.
2. 2015 Spring Newsletter
Draft 2 reviewed and additions requested: more OPP costing info, Fire Dept Tanker, opinion poll on website, waterways/melting snow (Fire Dept website posts updates).
3. Pay List by Fund, resolution
28-15 McLaren, Flowers
THAT we authorize Pay List by Fund as of 09 Feb 2015: $216,080.24. CARRIED.
a. South River Lion’s Club requesting participation in volunteer award
Approved $167. Suzanne Learn suggested as a nominee in consideration of her efforts for the Agricultural Society Fall Fair and Public School Parent Council. Administration will submit form.
4. South River Lions cordially invites you to attend South River Machar Winterfest Feb 9-16
Gala Social/Dinner/Dance starting at 6:00 pm on Fri, Feb 13, 2015. Tickets available.
5. Blue Sky Economic Growth Corp invitation to announcement on Feb 13
Blue Sky Net has been successful in obtaining funding for their Municipal GIS partnership project MRDAP which is the property record file digitization. They will also be announcing the refunding of their BEAM project which is of interest to your local businesses in that they provide subsidy funding for the development of new websites and e-commerce activity.
6. Parry Sound District Emergency Medical Services minutes of Jan 27
The Town of Parry Sound is responsible for EMS for the District of Parry Sound. The Town contracts the operational component of this program out to the West Parry Sound Health Centre. Councillor Wood inquired on the contract/tender length. Clerk Administrator is to refer to our community rep.
7. The Royal Canadian Legion Ontario Command Campaign Office; The Military Service Recognition Book will honour our past and present date Veterans and Troops…
8. Ontario Provincial Police update on the development of a reporting framework and supporting infrastructure will allow consistency and standardization in OPP public reporting, changes ongoing, initial rollout shall be no later than Apr 2015, input and feedback…
9. AMO Policy Update – 2015 Pre-Budget Submission, AMO provided the Legislature’s Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs with its 2015 Pre Budget Submission
10. AMO Policy Update – Highlights of the Jan 2015 Board Meeting; Social Assistance Management Systems (SAMS) Implementation Problems, Building Canada Fund – Provincial/Territorial Infrastructure Component (PTIC), LAS Update, Municipal Government Climate Change Survey Results, Bill 52 Protection of Public Participation Act 2014 (Anti-SLAPP Legislation), Energy East Pipeline Conversion from Gas to Oil, Revised Rural and Northern Lens, Project Green Light Meeting with Members of the Premier’s Advisory Council on Government Assets, MEPCO Update
11. AMO Board Vacancies Filled: AMO Board of Directors 2014-16
12. AMO Watchfile Jan 29, 2015:
In This Issue
- Accepting submissions for the 2015 PJ Marshall Award.
- 2015 AMO Conference Registration is open.
- Got an AMP? What are you doing with it?
- What is land use planning?
- What's on your training calendar?
- 20% of Ontario municipalities now upgrading streetlights with LAS.
- LAS provides high octane fuel savings for Ontario municipalities.
- 2015 OGRA/ROMA Conference: Rebooting Ontario's Municipal Sector.
- 2015-2019 ROMA Board Nominations Report.
- Career opportunities with Niagara Region and Richmond Hill.
13. FONOM Recognizes the Support of FedNor in the North
14. FONOM Jan Newsletter 2015; Happy New Year, Meeting of the Board of Directors held Jan 22, 2015, FONOM/MMAH Annual Conference, Membership Renewals, FONOM Executive Award, ROMA/OGRA Combined Conference, Agriculture Sector, Forestry Sector, Energy East Project, Provincial Land Tax reform
15. MPP Norm Miller supports Private Member’s Bill to Fight Drug Abuse
16. AMCTO Legislative Express Feb 2, 2015; MMAH to Conduct ODRAP Review, Province Considering Lower Speed Limits, Road Salt Decision, Summit on Work-related Traumatic Mental Stress, Municipal Groups Make PLT Submission, Bill 8 The Public Sector and MPP Accountability and Transparency Act, Insuring Long-term Disability Benefits, Tax Classification of Grain Elevators, Marriage Licence Reminder, Policy Spotlight Focus on the Budget
17. AMCTO AODA 10th Anniversary Celebration Events, Sharing Successes, North Bay, May 20
18. AMCTO Municipal Minute Jan 28, 2015 (Industry News)
19. AMCTO Municipal Minute Feb 4, 2015 (Industry News)
20. Municipal World Feb 2015; How heritage builds resilience…and why infrastructure funding can (and should) include investments in heritage assets, bringing history to life with stories, raising the bar for urban design in growing cities, the three ages of economic development, creating new life for old schools
21. Ombudsman Ontario Annual Report on Investigations of Closed Municipal Meetings and Sunshine Law Handbook
ADDITIONAL/ROUND TABLE/NOTICE OF MOTION:
OFMEM Vulnerable Occupancy Monitoring and Validation Protocol
A letter has been received from the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management directed to Mayor Carleton. OFMEM has commenced a monitoring program as of Jan 1, 2015 to confirm and validate the status of compliance. OFMEM has determined that we have not yet fully complied and a Field Advisory Services staff member will be contacting the Fire Chief to arrange a meeting. Clerk Administrator will forward correspondence to South River Clerk Administrator requesting review with the Fire Chief and to advise us of compliance status. It was noted we have been requested to send communications regarding fire matters to the South River Clerk Administrator per procedure.
Joint Building Committee
Councillor Wood requested direction on the extra wage incentive proposed at Committee. Council indicated this would only be considered when the JBC starts generating a surplus.
29-15 Flowers, McLaren
THAT we proceed into Closed Session in order to address a matter pertaining to; personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees, litigation or potential litigation, including matters before administrative tribunals, affecting the municipality or local board. Time 7:20 pm. CARRIED
30-15 McLaren, Pinkerton
THAT we come out of Closed Session. Time 7:27 pm. CARRIED
31-15 Wood, McLaren
THAT we give 1st, 2nd, 3rd and final reading to Confirming By-Law and that we adjourn until our Regular meeting scheduled for Mon, Feb 23, 2015 or per Procedural By-Law. CARRIED
Mayor Lynda Carleton
Clerk Administrator Brenda Paul, AMCT